Monday, January 23, 2012

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Well, it is somebody’s birthday somewhere!  And I have a cute little birthday card to share today.

This card was inspired by the sketch at Operation Write Home’s Stars and Stamps challenge blog and the inspiration challenge at Splitcoaststampers.  I’ll give you all the details about these challenges after I show you my card….

childs birthday2

I absolutely love this card! OK, I know I made it but I would not usually pick these 3 colors and put them together, but I did and they are so cute! Be sure to read about the challenges to see how I came up with them.

childs birthday3

This little boat is so adorable! It comes from Inspired by Stamping’s Kids Fun set, as does the Happy Birthday sentiment. I embossed the boat on watercolor paper, cut it with a Spellbinder, inked the paper with Polar Blue VersaColor and colored it with markers. The medallion behind the boat is from Spellbinders Floral Doily Motifs.

childs birthday

I do place a sheet of card stock inside and attach it with a coordinating piece of card stock.

OK. Now for the challenges!!

First the sketch from OWH Stars and Stamps. If you are not familiar with Operation Write Home, it is a program designed for card makers to create handmade cards to send to our deployed troops so they have beautiful cards to send back home to loved ones.  Even though we have less troops deployed now, the need is even greater! There are MORE troops than ever signed up now so we need people to help with this worthy cause.  Just visit Operation Write Home for details on how to get started!  

Here is the sketch for Sketch Challenge #105

….and at Splitcoaststampers, my friend Judy Rozema suggested this week’s Inspiration Challenge 320: Land of Nod.  She thought the adorable galleries of children’s goods at this site would inspire us all. I know it did me!!!! Thanks Judy.

This is the picture I chose as my inspiration:  See? That is where the colors came from.

I hope you enjoyed checking out my card today!

Complete instructions are listed below, so if you want all the details, please scroll down.

I hope you enjoyed reading about my card today and will leave comments before you leave! Thanks for stopping by….

hugs,

Ellen

Recipe_thumb_thumb_thumb_thumb_thumb
STAMPS

  • Inspired by Stamping
    • Kids Fun

PAPER

  • DCWV Linen Closet
    • 1/2 x 5” strip (striped piece)
  • Card stock
    • 4 1/4 x 5 1/2” Red
    • 3” Red square or round for Spellbinder
    • 4 x 5 1/4” Light Blue
    • 1/2 x 5” strip (x2 1 Red; 1 Yellow)
  • Water Color paper 3” square or round for Spellbinder

TOOLS

  • Big Shot
  • Spellbinders
    • Floral Doily Motifs
    • Scalloped Circle Large
  • Fiskars texture plate – Waves
  • Heat tool
  • Black embossing powder

ACCESSORIES

  • Yellow 1/8” satin ribbon
  • Star shaped button
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Cut all paper
  2. Heat emboss the boat onto the watercolor paper
  3. Use Big Shot and cut Spellbinders die cuts
  4. Color boat with markers
  5. Emboss light blue panel with Fiskars Waves texture plate
  6. Adhere 3 vertical strips to blue base
  7. Attach ribbon strip
  8. Adhere blue panel to red panel
  9. Attach boat to red medallion and then attach red medallion to card
  10. Add bow, star and stamp sentiment
MyShabbyBlogsDividerH_thumb_thumb_th[2]

10 comments:

Paula S. said...

The colors are wonderful together. fabulous job with this week's OWH sketch. Everything about it "just works"!

Paula S.
OWH Blog Team
operationwritehome.org

Paper Therapy Ponderings said...

I like your inspiration - it was a great jump start for your card - the card will make many people smile.

Barb Housner

Carol L said...

What an adorable little birthday card! Some little man is going to adore this one, especially with that cute little frog inside :)

Bernardine Cuttino said...

Your card is cute and fun. The image is pretty. Nicely done

Donna Hanley said...

Some little one is going to be very happy to receive this darling card.

Lee Ann Barrett said...

This is sooo cute! Love the colors you used and I really like the ispiration challenge. Looks like I may have to go over to Splitcoast and try this.

SusanS said...

Ellen - this is the cutest card. Thank you for sharing your inspiration.

Dixie Cochran said...

I love the colors! Inspiration comes in many forms. Terrific card!

Julie said...

Adorable card, Ellen! Love that boat! Thanks for joining us in this week's OWH Stars & Stamps Sketch Challenge!

Maria said...

CUTE!!! Love this card! It's just too adorable...great job!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...