Monday, February 6, 2012

CAS-ual Friday CFC38

Hi girls! Welcome to a new week and lots of card making fun! Today, I am playing with the Girl Friday’s over at CAS-ual Friday. I know….me…..trying CAS…..again. Sigh, well practice makes perfect so maybe I’ll get it one day. The card I’m going to show you started out CAS, but maybe I did too much? I’m not sure.

Anyhoo, I fell in LOVE with Andrea Ewen’s (Ewen Style) fantastic tutorial on using the Martha Stewart corner/border punch set. If you have not seen her card, you really should check it out! Now here is my attempt at what she did….

CFC38

See how that border looks like it is floating behind the main card? I just love that effect and I know I’ll be using this technique again and again!

Over at Operation Write Home, the challenge is to help them gather enough cards for our heroes to send Mother's Day cards home to their moms - as well as fill the rest of the box with other themes too!  We are challenged to have 1/2 of our cards be Mother’s Day cards, so that is why I am starting them so early! 

Since this is for OWH, the size is A2 so I had to adjust Andrea’s directions a little. I used printer paper and played with 5 1/2 x 4 1/4 until I figured out how to fit the border around it.

CFC38_3

The theme at CAS-ual Friday CFC38 is Clean And Simple Movie Inspiration! From old classics to currently nominated, any genre. The movie I chose is Steel Magnolias, so I have a beautiful magnolia flower on my card.

This is new for me….it is a digi stamp from Mygrafico.com. Now, I don’t have those awesome Copics that y’all are always using so I used chalk for this.  Since Southern Magnolia flowers are white, I tried to shade it and highlight it so that it didn’t look like a digi just printed on white paper LOL! I heat embossed it to preserve the chalking and to give it a little shine.  I also printed it twice and cut some of the petals separately and placed them on the flower to give it dimension.

CFC38_2

To make the inside coordinated with the front, I punched the border punch so that it fits exactly under the bottom border on the front.

Complete instructions are listed below, so if you want all the details, please scroll down.

I hope you enjoyed reading about my card today and will leave comments before you leave! Thanks for stopping by….

hugs,

Ellen

Recipe_thumb_thumb_thumb_thumb_thumb[2]
STAMPS

  • Inspired by Stamping
    • All Year Wishes II
  • Mygrafico
      • Fancy Flowers Digital Stamp

PAPER

  • DCWV The Old World Stack
    • 5 1/2 x 4 1/3
  • Card stock
    • 4 1/2 x 3 1/4 dark green
    • 7 x 4 1/2 white folded for base
    • white scrap for sentiment
    • white for digi stamp

TOOLS

  • Big Shot
  • Cuttlebug embossing folder
  • Heat tool
  • SU Clear embossing powder
  • Martha Stewart corner/border punch

ACCESSORIES

  • White lace
  • Green 1/4” satin ribbon
  • White beads
  • Clear rhinestone
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Cut all paper
  2. After printing the magnolia, use chalks to color
  3. Heat emboss the magnolia using clear embossing powder
  4. Use the corner/border punch to create the base of the front of the card
  5. Add beads to each “flower” on the border
  6. Emboss the dark green panel with embossing folder
  7. Run green ribbon through holes in white lace and attach to green panel
  8. Use dimensional dots to attach green panel to border panel
  9. Attach the flower, sentiment and bow to the front
  10. Add rhinestone and attach to folded base (remember to fold the base off center so that the borders match up along the bottom of the card)
MyShabbyBlogsDividerH_thumb_thumb_th

3 comments:

Andrea Ewen said...

Fabulous, Ellen! I'm so glad you tried this out...that light green floral perimeter border looks beautiful against the deep green of your card. What a stunning effect! Though, your card is all-around gorgeous anyway...that floral image is just so delicate and feminine looking! :)

Michele Gross said...

I can totally see the Andrea influence here :) Wonderful movie too :) Glad you got your CAS on with us at CAS-ual Fridays!

Karen B. said...

What a beautiful card, the green is lovely! Thanks for playing at CAS-ual Fridays this week!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...