Thursday, June 7, 2012

OUR DAILY BREAD DESIGNS CHALLENGE AT OWH

Each month, Our Daily Bread Designs hosts a challenge at Operation Write Home*. This month, their challenge for us is a shaped card.  For every 25 cards we post, ODBD will donate the shipping of one box of cards to our heroes.  Please help us meet our goal of at least 50 cards by making your shaped card and posting it here.

OK, I know I am getting old, but I seriously forget where I read about the woman who got a Happy Birthday card for her Anniversary because her hubby could not find an Anniversary card in Afghanistan.  WOW! I just hadn’t thought of using that sentiment….ok, so now I’m dinghy and senile.. oh wait. My DH said that is not new *snort*.  Any way, I want to make sure I get a couple of these in my boxes from now on!

I recently made a shaped card using Spellbinders (you can see it here) so I wanted to try something different for this shaped card. Ugh…. I always have these great ideas that turn into a nightmare.  I used Tim Holtz Alterations brackets for this card, which means I had to make sure I matched up the sides and the top/bottom because I had to cut one edge at a time.  Add to that, I made the card base in the same shape except the top folded over. So the base for the decorative piece had to match how I cut out the actual card………. I won’t be making another one of these any time soon LOL. And, I am sure I probably made this harder than it should have been, but that is how I roll. Winking smile

With that said, I do like the overall card.  I have been watching Sandy talk about coloring and decided to buy a set of Copics.  I don’t have a lot of colors yet, but I like the way the heart turned out.  I used Spellbinders Lacey Square and Classic Square to make the frame. With the little center piece that was left over, I mounted the heart and “popped” it up. This is also based on sketch 124.

THIS CARD QUALIFIES FOR:
Operation Write Home’s Our Daily Bread Designs Challenge: Make a shaped card

I also made this card for:
Mynnette’s Spread the L-O-V-E challenge:
image7222222222222222222222222222222[1]
*Operation Write Home: Supporting our nation's armed forces by sending blank handmade greeting cards to write home on, as well as cards of gratitude to encourage them.
Thank you so much for stopping by! I am always so happy to see that you have been to my blog. Please leave comments so I know you were here! PLEASE HELP ME GROW! If you are not a follower yet, would you please click follow?
hugs,
orchidsig2_thumb2_thumb_thumb_thumb_[2] image_thumb1_thumb1_thumb1_thumb_thu[2]
SUPPLIES
SIZE: approx
5.5 x 4.25″

  • STAMPS: Hampton Art Double Vision, Hero Arts sentiment
  • PAPER: K&Company Tim Coffey Designer Mat Pad
  • TOOLS: Big Shot, Tim Holtz Alterations Brackets, Spellbinders: Lacey Squares, Classic Squares; Martha Stewart Border Punch
  • INK: Copics markers, Memento Tuxedo Black 
  • ACCESSORIES: Really Reasonable Ribbon, Recollections pearls Liquid Pearls Petal Blue, Washi Tape
  •  

    dividerNew_thumb_thumb_thumb_thumb_t

    4 comments:

    Donna Nuce said...

    Beautiful card Ellen. I always include some love themed cards in my box so that they can be used for anniversaries.

    Unknown said...

    Wow! That turned out beautifully. Thanks for playing in the ODBD challenge this month!

    Cherie said...

    Wonderful card! I never think to do anniversary cards.

    Paula S. said...

    Very pretty card! Gorgeous color combo. That comment caught my attention to and I included Anniversary cards for the first time ever (I think) in my most recent box for OWH. I'll make sure I put some in future boxes too. Thanks for helping us reach our goal on the ODBD June Challenge.

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...