Thursday, February 2, 2012

A BASKET FULL OF LOVE

Hi! I am sort of excited to share this card with you today. Don’t tell, but it is my Mom’s Valentine’s Day card.  She doesn’t have a computer so I know she won’t see it and I can have fun sharing it!

I wanted to make a basket full of hearts and flowers to send to her. She lives about 3.5 hours away from me so I don’t get to see her as much as I would like, so I wanted to make a special card for her.

MomsValentine

The gorgeous flowers are both from Prima. I could not resist using that large pink one!

I recently got my new Memory Box dies and had a chance to use the Quinn Flourish in the background on this card.  I just love the light airy feel they give a card and I adore how the swirls look like hearts and fit perfectly with what I am doing.

To get some depth and dimension in the basket, I cut different lengths of a Foamie and stacked them. I placed the stack under the bottom edge of the basket and added some additional distressed ribbon to hide it. By using different lengths, I was able to give it more depth in the center and kept it flat out at the edges.

MomsValentine4I

The “basket” is made from a piece of card stock that I cut so that it resembles the top of a heart. White satin ribbon was then woven and attached to the card stock. I used Distress Ink on the white ribbon to make it look more like a basket.  A piece of white ribbon was then used to “line” the basket.

MomsValentine3

I used white nylon cording, distressed a strand of it and placed it along the top of the basket.  Four strands were then braided and distressed to make the handle of the basket.

MomsValentine8

This card is also being entered into four challenges!  The TLC challenge at Splitcoaststampers is a choice of two techniques. I chose Double Vision and double stamped LOVE as well as the hero arts heart on the inside of the card.

Here is the link to the SCS challenge: TLC362 ~Try THIS, or Try That

image

Over with the shabby girls at The Shabby Tea Room, we are asked to create a VALENTINE'S DAY card or project inspired by the COLORS IN THE INSPIRATION PHOTO and WITH A MAIL OR POSTAGE ELEMENT

MomsValentine7

I cut a piece of MME paper that had a stamp resembling a postal stamp and die cut it using the Sizzlits Stamp Window. The pretty little Prima flower is attached to a white seam binding bow.

image

Then at Really Reasonable Ribbon, there is Challenge #41 'Red & Pink with Ribbon' Theme. I’m pretty sure I nailed the “with ribbon” part LOL.

I am also entering this in the SCS Ways To Use It challenge: WT360 - Groundhog Day  Repetition is the theme for today's challenge. Chose an image and use it multiple times on your card.

The repeating hearts and the double Quinn Flourish die cuts are for this challenge.

I don’t think I can give complete details, at least not as detailed as I usually do, my attempt is listed below. If you want all the details, please scroll down.

I had so much fun making this card! I hope you enjoyed reading about it and will leave comments before you leave! Thanks for stopping by….

hugs,

Ellen

Recipe_thumb_thumb_thumb_thumb_thumb
STAMPS

PAPER

  • ColorMates Cherry Ice Dust cardstock
    • 5 3/4 x 5 3/4
    • 5 1/2 x 2.5
  • Stamping Up! Love Impressions Specialty Designer Series Paper
    • 12 x 6 folded for card base
    • For the 2 flourishes and the hearts
  • White card stock
    • 6 x 6
    • 5 1/2 x 5 1/2
  • MME scrap with postal stamp

INKS

  • Inkadinkado
    • Black
  • Versacolor
    • Cardinal Red
    • Old Rose
  • Tim Holtz Distress Inks
    • Walnut Stain
    • Antique Linen

TOOLS

  • Big Shot
  • Sizzix Sizzlits Heart #2 & #3
  • Sizzix Sizzlits Primative Heart 1 & 2
  • Sizzix Sizzlits Stamp Frame
  • Memory Box Quinn Flourish
  • Hero Arts Stamps
    • Heart
    • XOXO

ACCESSORIES

  • White 1/4” satin ribbon
  • White 3/4” ribbon (for inside basket)
  • White seam binding
  • Clear rhinestones
  • Cherry red pearls
  • Prima Flowers

Instructions

  1. Cut all paper
  2. Use Big Shot and Sizzlits to cut heart shapes. Glue the small hearts onto the larger ones. Just use a variety of paper and have fun with it.
  3. Use Memory Box and Big Shot to cut motifs. I used coordinating pieces of the SU paper.
  4. Stamp one of the hearts with the sentiment. Add rhinestones..
  5. Stamp XOXO on another one of the hearts and add rhinestones in the “O’s”
  6. Add rhinestones and red pearls randomly on other hearts.
  7. To make the basket:
    1. Cut a base from a heavy card stock in the shape you prefer. Mine is shaped like the top of a heart. It is 5 1/2” wide and  about 2 1/2” high.
    2. Run strips of 1/4” white satin ribbon from top to bottom completely covering the base. Just run a line of double sided tape along the top and bottom of the back to attach the ribbons
    3. Weave in strips going across the basket.
    4. Use Antique Linen distress ink and a dauber to add ink to the ribbon. When you get enough color, Use a little of the Walnut Stain ink to add a little depth.
    5. Cut some strips of Foamie to build up the center of the basket.
    6. Add some white satin ribbon to cover it and use the Walnut Stain ink to distress it (making it darker than the side of the basket)
    7. Use a strip of nylon cording to edge the top of the basket.  Use the Antique Linen ink to distress it.
    8. Place a length of white ribbon beneath the edging to give the appearance of a lined basket.
    9. Take 4 lengths of the nylon cording and braid them. Distress with the Antique Linen and a little of the Walnut Stain.
  8. Double stamp LOVE in top right corner.
  9. Attach the basket and handle to the white 5 1/2 x 5 1/2” panel.
  10. Use a dauber and gently add Old Rose ink on the top of the card, outside of where the handle lays.
  11. Add motifs, large pink flower and hearts.
  12. Add white bow, flower and stamp
  13. Attach all layers and adhere to card base.
  14. Inside, add a white panel using a coordinating paper at the top of it.
  15. Double stamp bottom right corner with Hero Arts heart.

Just let me know if you have questions. This one was a little hard to explain!

ShabbyBlogsDividerH_thumb_thumb

6 comments:

Mynn xx said...

Ellen, thank you for your sweet comment! :) I've emailed you back! But let's talk about this AMAZING CARD! That large pearl centered flower is absolutely gorgeous--all those hearts make me want to burst with joy! :) GORGEOUS!!! :)

buglvr2010 said...

Your card is fabulous! Thanks for joining us this week at Really Reasonable Ribbon!

Cindy holshouser said...

Well your mom is going to be one happy momma when she opens this card. How beautiful! I love every
detail - especially those flowers. Thanks for joining un this week in the Tea Room.

purple_pea_fran said...

Stunning! Love all those beautiful hearts and flower. Thanks for sharing with The Shabby Tearoom!

Andrea Ewen said...

Wow, Ellen...this card is just gorgeous! I love all the beautiful elements you've added...the hearts, the delightful basket weave, and especially the amazing colors! Your mom is CERTAIN to love this!

Bonnie Garby said...

What a beautiful card, and I love the way you made the basket with woven ribbon! Thanks so much for participating in our Really Reasonable Ribbon Challenge.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...