Tuesday, February 14, 2012

PLAYING WITH INK AND WATER

What could be more fun? This was a new technique for me and I had so much fun I ended up doing several backgrounds before I stopped!  Not only that, but I loved the results. So, I think you will be seeing more of this from me!

Oh, I guess you are saying “what the heck is she talking about”.  Why the Splitcoaststampers TLC challenge: TLC364~ Wrinkle Free Distress ~ we are going to "paint" our backgrounds with Distress Inks.

 SCS TLC364

The Wrinkle Free Distress uses Distress Inks on a sheet of plastic which is then sprayed with water. Watercolor paper is then smooched onto the sprayed ink.  LOL Sherry Cheever says it a lot better here. I used Tim Holtz Pealed Paint, Tattered Rose, and Broken China.

SCS TLC364_2

So last night I was sort of bored watching TV. I got out my crochet needle and thread and started playing and came up with this little 5 petal flower. When I got my dies out to cut the leaves, I realized I have a 5 petal die, so I cut coordinating colors and used it as a base for the flowers. It may just be me, but I think they turned out cute!

SCS TLC364_3

The sentiment and designs are from Inspired by Stamping’s All Year Wishes II and Ovals. A little seam binding and some pearls and it was all done! What do you think?

I want to add a little personal touch to my blog so I will be adding in a spot that I’ll call Around My Home or On My Walk, depending on where the picture comes from. Today’s picture is of my gorgeous Phalaenopsis orchid. It has come into bloom, and my DH swears it is a miracle. I have tried to grow orchids forever….really. I always had  pretty green plants but no blooms. Well this is not the first time it has bloomed, and not the second, but the THIRD time I have gotten this one to bloom!  So I am happy to share this picture with you!

AROUND MY HOME

ORchid

Pretty, right? It makes me smile every time I walk into the kitchen and see it there blooming happily away!

In addition to the SCS challenge, I made this card for:

Mynnette’s Spread the L-O-V-E challenge since this will be sent to our troops and will make it’s way home to a friend or loved one.

image72222

Operation Write Home’s*  Mother’s Day Challenge:

image322

*Operation Write Home: Supporting our nation's armed forces by sending blank handmade greeting cards to write home on, as well as cards of gratitude to encourage them.

Thank you so much for stopping by! I am always so happy to see that you have been to my blog. Please leave comments so I know you were here! Oh, if you are not a follower yet, would you please click follow?

hugs,

Ellen

Recipe_thumb_thumb_thumb_thumb_thumb[2]
STAMPS

  • Inspired by Stamping
    • All Year Wishes II
    • Ovals

PAPER – DCWV card stock & watercolor paper

INK

  • Inkadinkado
  • Tim Holtz Distress Ink
    • Pealed Paint
    • Broken China
    • Tattered Rose

TOOLS

  • Presto Punch – leaf and 5 petal flower
  • Heat tool

ACCESSORIES

  • Crochet flowers (by me)
  • Green, blue & pink pearls

  • Green seam binding

    MyShabbyBlogsDividerH_thumb_thumb_th[2]

  • 4 comments:

    Colleen Dietrich said...

    Ellen, I'm so glad you pointed me in the direction of TLC364, Wrinkle Free Distressing challenge! I just entered my card, too.

    Your background is beautiful, and so are those posies. :) And what a gorgeous orchid! That would make me happy each time I saw it, too.

    Have a beautiful day!

    Donna Hanley said...

    Elen, Your card is beautiful. I'll have to try that technique. Your crocheted flowers came out totally lovely. The colors were perfect also. I used to crochet years ago, but have since forgot how. After seeing your flowers today, I think maybe I should pull out those needles again. All around great card. I like your new section of your blog and look forward to more posts.Your orchids are just gorgeous. Congrats on your OWH win. That card was also so very lovely.

    Mynn xx said...

    I wish I had an orchid. *sigh* Oh, well. I'm pretty sure it'd die--I have a brown thumb. ;)

    This is so fabulous! And I LOVE that you've been learning new things! :) BTW--could I buy some of those crocheted flowers from you? Email me the details if you are willing to! :)

    PS: I am in the process of sending your card--I really have been crazy busy but will send it soon! :)

    gabby2057 said...

    You always have such beautiful and interesting cards. I love the crocheted flowers. I need to hury and get some Mothers Day cards done.

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...